9.14.2007

Hunting For Seeds

I am always looking for something
to keep Josiah's active mind busy.

I noticed we constantly have little red seeds in the front yard (along with tons of fallen, brown, crunchy, leaves). Our estranged neighbors have a giant Magnolia tree in the front of their abandoned, gutted, & boarded up duplex. Most of the large branches hang over our front yard, roof, & all the power, phone, & cable lines coming into our house (which always worries me to no end, trees can cause so much damage). However, it's really nice to have shade, but it is a very messy tree. I found out that Magnolia trees are evergreens. That is why it is shedding leaves in our yard year round.

Anyways... as I was saying... It has these huge pine cone looking things called seed pods, that fall each & every day and sometimes we can hear them falling onto our roof. Inside these are little red seeds, which mostly fall out when the seed pod hits the ground. (it must be just this time of year it seeds) So for now we are guaranteed on a daily basis to have replenished red seeds for Josiah to hunt & collect.

The magnolia is actually the state flower, and I love spring time when all the magnolia trees bloom, it is really pretty.

No comments: