9.10.2007

Only in Nawlin's Ya'll

I was at the grocery store one night (all by my self :) , after ALL the kids went to bed), while I was in the checkout line, the women ahead of me, for some reason scolded her boy, saying, "Don't you be doin' that when you're makin' groceries!"
It had been a while since I heard that... since most of the people I am around aren't actually from "Nawlin's, Loozie Anna". I just smiled real big, and quietly laughed to myself thinking, "I love this place".

Definition: 1. making groceries; Going to the store to buy some food for the house. 'Me and the wife are making groceries tonight.' ~ This actually originated in New Orleans... this phrase probably originated from the French expression for grocery shopping, "faire le marché". The verb "faire" can mean either "to do" or "to make", and the idiom may have been mistranslated.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I was at one of my daily appointments with the kids, I was feeding the babies in a hospital cafeteria. On each table there was salt, pepper, and a big bottle of Tabasco sauce... here is a comparison of the 'normal', 5oz bottle & the one I saw, the 12 oz bottle, little did I know, McIlhenny offers Gallon jugs too. Some people have this stuff in their food storage! The brand did originate here so that is probably why.

No comments: