cli·ché noun - a. Trite, obvious remark, or overused expression or idea.Most Heard Comment
“Boy, you’ve got YOUR hands full!
“Why, yes.” “YES, Random Stranger, I DO have my hands full.” “Thanks! For! Noticing!”
I get asked questions like:
Q. “Are they twins?”
A. “Nope, I delivered them 4 months apart.”
Q. “Are they identical?”
Q. “Are they identical?”
A. “No, it's boy and a girl” or "what?!?"
Q. “Did you know you were going to have twins?
Q. “Did you know you were going to have twins?
A. “Nope, they just suddenly appeared.” I don’t even know how to be sarcastic with that one. In this day-in-age women have numerous ultrasounds, I don’t know how a women could NOT know.
It reminds me of the Jeff Foxworthy jokes. . .
It reminds me of the Jeff Foxworthy jokes. . .
Here’s your sign! Click & read: http://www.snopes.com/humor/jokes/heresign.asp
There are ALWAYS strangers stopping me, people I don’t know asking me personal questions, EVERYWHERE I GO.
TIP #1- Saying your thoughts out loud…{bad}
The worst questions I’ve had. . .
“Is it hard?”
“Which one is more advanced?”
“Do you breast feed?”

TIP #1- Saying your thoughts out loud…{bad}
The worst questions I’ve had. . .
“Is it hard?”
“Which one is more advanced?”
“Do you breast feed?”


"Were they natural?"
TIP#2- Complementing…. {good}
The best comments I’ve had:
The best comments I’ve had:
“How wonderful!”
“I bet it’s great!”
“They are beautiful”
“I bet it’s great!”
“They are beautiful”
Here is another one I often get asked:
Q. “How do you do it?” A. "I have my own Alice!"
No, I have too! Is there any other choice? I have to DO IT. It might not be DONE well, but IT is DONE.
a. Something that can be seen or viewed, especially something of a remarkable or impressive nature. {the seen part, but not remarkable or impressive at all}
b. A public performance or display, especially one on a large or lavish scale.
c. A regrettable public display, as of bad behavior: drank too much and made a spectacle of himself.
Q. “How do you do it?” A. "I have my own Alice!"
No, I have too! Is there any other choice? I have to DO IT. It might not be DONE well, but IT is DONE.
The places where I get the best reactions have to be places like ToysR’us; where you find people who actually LIKE children. {You’d think so, if they are buying toys for them… right?}
spec·ta·cle - noun
a. Something that can be seen or viewed, especially something of a remarkable or impressive nature. {the seen part, but not remarkable or impressive at all}
b. A public performance or display, especially one on a large or lavish scale.
c. A regrettable public display, as of bad behavior: drank too much and made a spectacle of himself.
This is how I feel when going anywhere with the babies. A spectacle.
I have come to acknowledge & recognize that wherever I go people are going
to look, stare, and/or comment on the visual fact that I have… a) Twins b) 3 children OR c) 4 children.
The hardest place to go is perhaps Sam’s Club. There is no possible way that I can just stack the few things I want to purchase on the top of the stroller like I do when I go to Target, or on any other small errand. Pushing-the-double-stroller-with-one-hand-while-pulling-the-shopping-cart-with-the-other-hand thing really gets me noticed. Believe me; I don’t do this on purpose! At all costs, I send Paul to do the dirty work {with Josiah & Jacque of course} but when he can’t and I HAVE to buy diapers or wipes . . . I just take a deep breath and~ a) go in b) don’t make eye contact & c) get out ASAP!
Overall, people are very nice & helpful.
I meet many people who tell me they are a twin, or that they have twins too. We
get a lotof smiles & we smile back. I suppose that I should be
thankful that's its not negative attention.
4 comments:
Oh, man. I know how hard it is with one, so I can't imagine two. Well, I have to say, you DO it great. You never seem flustered (although I know you must get that way). You work your magic beautifully and your kids are beautiful too. Congratulations on being a wonderful mom! Keep venting via the blog...it's great therapy!
I understand the awkwardness of getting so much attention. I only have Jordyn, but everywhere we go at least2 or 3 people stop and comment on how beautiful Jordyn is (often they then call their friends or whomever may be near to come and take a look). I'm greatful that the comments aren't negative, but it would be nice to be able to go somewhere undisturbed.
Oh, you DO it really well, Nicole. Please know that you do!
I am SURE you do it very well. It is so funny the things people say. I remember in Cleveland a random guy coming up to me while I was pregnant with Ashlyn, my first baby, and asking me if I was going to breastfeed. I was stunned. I thought "if he just a complete slimy, creepy weirdo who likes to hear about this"? And now with my 3 kids under the age of 5, I get the "hands full" comment all the time too. I just hope they are saying it while they open the door for you and help you out with your groceries!
Post a Comment