11.24.2007

What season is it?

Living in the South every day feels the same. It never really feels like it is Thanksgiving or Christmas or Winter or Fall or Spring or anything but Hot & Muggy. Summer is probably the only season that is evident. I was talking to a friend of mine - Tracy - and I was trying to remember if it was fall or spring that was fruit fly season. She laughed and said, "I guess that's how we can tell what time of year it is down here- by the bugs." It is so true!
Summer- {is of course} Roach Season
Winter - I can't remember - (I guess I will be reminded soon enough)
Spring - Termite Season Each year I have about 200 million termites fly into my house through the front door all at one time & all die overnight {if I didn't know they swarmed in} & then I find them in piles by the lamps & in the corners the next day. It's just crazy. It is just 1 day out of the year it happens too. I actually have to sweep & vacuum them up. They wait 'till that 1 night someone comes home late & opens up the door, then they all rush in together. The first time that happened I think Paul was out of town & the kids & I got home late, they flew in, then I was trying frantically to kill millions of termites that were all over the walls, ceiling, in the lights, & on everything. I had no idea what they were either. I thought they were baby flying roaches & I was so freaked out! They were even coming through the cracks in the front door and through the threshold. It was like Arachnophobia! I called the maintenance guy the next day to come over & seal around the door better. He educated me that they weren't baby flying roaches, that it was just termite season. -OH?
Fall - Fruit Fly Season I hate these little flies. But, they find anyway to survive. I work so hard getting everything spic 'n span, & put away anything that might attract them or keep them alive. I even find them in the drains in the bathroom. So, I pour bleach down the drain. Then they hide out in the little overflow holes, so I pour bleach down there too. I got so frustrated last year thinking it was just my house, but everyone has them. Even at the grocery store there are tons in the produce section. So, I felt a little better knowing that it is the entire city that gets invaded and not just my house. I finally found some info on how to trap them.
Everyday is like Groundhog Day around here. Nothing ever changes. The leaves on the trees even fall year-round. I miss looking outside to see what season it is & not by what insect is invading my home.

1 comment:

Lynnette said...

Yikes is all I have to say. We get some nasty bugs here...scorpions, cockroaches, red ants, and killer bees. But, I guess some places are worth the trade off when you love so much else about it--and it seems like LA is that for you. :)